Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Goodnight Moon


I read a bed time story to L every night. I have been doing this for over a year now and its the same book each time, Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown. Attempts to change this have not gone down well!

It's a special time I look forward to, especially during a long day at work. L snuggles up to me, all sleepy and ready for bed and we read the story and have a little chat.

Its a lovely simple little book about a little rabbit delaying bed time, as most small people do, by saying goodnight to everything he can see.

The illustrations, by Clement Hurd, are beautifully done. The light gradually fades from the room so that by the end of the book the room is almost in darkness. Every second page is coloured and full of detail with the other pages in black and white which pick out single items.

It starts off describing "The great green room" and then goes on to say goodnight, ending with "Goodnight noises every where".

At this point I know it off by heart, and while a part of me is looking forward to more exciting and varied bed time stories, Goodnight Moon will always hold a special place in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I can't stand that book! I too know it by heart. I read it for J the other day but he was uninterested. He wanted the Pooh book back LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you say that? I think its lovely. Although I will admit to finding the 'good night nobody' page disturbing at times!

    ReplyDelete